[R] Ouch - brown, hansen error

Roland Sookias r.sookias at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 09:01:23 CEST 2011

Hi

I'm trying to use ouch's hansen and brown functions but I get the error:

> brown(logflatnodes,archotreeouch)
Error in backsolve(l, x, k = k, upper.tri = upper.tri, transpose =
transpose) :
  NA/NaN/Inf in foreign function call (arg 1)

and with hansen also:

Error in optim(par = c(sqrt.alpha, sigma), fn = function(par) { :
  function cannot be evaluated at initial parameters

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to put in the sqrt.alpha and sigma
parameters. I have several different selective regimes (trophic guilds). I
have a single continuous character (body size). I read these data in as a
table, and then made the columns into objects (or vectors? i.e. I did
data2=allmydata$data2) and named them by node number. The tree is converted
from ape.

Thanks very much, and happy to provide more info...

Traceback for the first error gives:

> traceback()
9: .C("bakslv", t = r, ldt = nrow(r), n = k, b = x, ldb = k, nb = nb,
       x = matrix(0, k, nb), job = job, info = integer(1L), DUP = FALSE,
       PACKAGE = "base")
8: backsolve(l, x, k = k, upper.tri = upper.tri, transpose = transpose)
7: forwardsolve(vh, a, upper.tri = TRUE, transpose = TRUE)
6: as.matrix(x)
5: svd(forwardsolve(vh, a, upper.tri = TRUE, transpose = TRUE))
4: glssoln(w, x, b)
3: FUN(X[[1L]], ...)
2: lapply(dat, function(x) glssoln(w, x, b))
1: brown(logflatnodes, archotreeouch)