[R] xml2-config issues

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 13:18:40 CEST 2011

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 20:06:34 -0600
From: abmathewks at gmail.com
To: r-help at r-project.org
Subject: [R] xml2-config issues

I'm trying to install the XML package on Ubuntu 10.10, and I keep getting
a warning message the XML could not be found and had non-zero exit
status. How can I fix this problem?

> install.packages()
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Installing package(s) into ‘/home/amathew/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.13’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL '
http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/src/contrib/XML_3.4-0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 896195 bytes (875 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 875 Kb

* installing *source* package ‘XML’ ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
No ability to remove finalizers on externalptr objects in this verison of R
checking for sed... /bin/sed
checking for xml2-config... no
Cannot find xml2-config
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘XML’
* removing ‘/home/amathew/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.13/XML’

[ my text, hotmail won't highlight original  ]

you probably need to get libxml2 and then you should be able to run
xml2-config from command line to verfiy it is there. This is a specific
pkg-config ( man pkg-config for details ). For some non-R things
yum or apt-get has not gotten the most recent versions but generally
your package manager should be just fine.

The downloaded packages are in
‘/tmp/Rtmp2V4huR/downloaded_packages’
Warning message:
In install.packages() :
  installation of package 'XML' had non-zero exit status

Thank You,
Abraham