[R] R versions and PostScript files

David Smith david at revolutionanalytics.com
Fri Jul 22 19:09:37 CEST 2011

Another option in this specific case is to use the new useRaster=TRUE
option, which makes the image function generate much more compact and
faster-rendering image plots. This code:

setEPS()
postscript (file="volc.eps",width=5,height=4)
image(volcano,useRaster=TRUE)
dev.off()

in R 2.13 generates a 37Kb file which renders very quickly (compared
to a 193Kb file without using the useRaster=TRUE option).

# David Smith

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM, pilchat <pilchat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I have a desktop computer and a laptop, both of them with Ubuntu Lucid. The
> former has R2.10 installed from Ubuntu repositories (this is the most recent
> version in the repositories), while the latter has R2.13 from the CRAN
> repositories.
>
> I noticed that postscript files generated with R2.10 are "better"  than
> files generated with the latest release of R, in particular for plots with
> colored areas, such as the output of image or persp. The thing is that my ps
> viewer (e.g. gv or evince) is very slow in opening ps files from R2.13,
> while it smoothly displays ps files from R2.10, regardless of
> "encapsulation".
>
> I think this is related to differences in the way the ps file is generated
> by the two versions of R, but I don't know how to go deeper in the matter.
>
> Is there anyone experiencing the same issue? Is there any solution?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Cheers
>
> Gaetano

David M Smith <david at revolutionanalytics.com>
VP of Marketing, Revolution Analytics  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com
Tel: +1 (650) 646-9523 (Palo Alto, CA, USA)