[R] R on Multicore for Linux

Madana_Babu madana_babu at infosys.com
Thu Jul 21 01:44:51 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I have R installed on a box, which is running on a machine with 16 core and
Redhat - Linux. I am handling huge (size of dataset will be 5 GB) dataset.
Lets assume that my data is in the form of structured (multiple) logs. I
access the data by using all.files(). Since by default basic version of R
utilizes single core, the processing of my analysis code is taking too much
time. I got to know that mclapply() can be used to use all cores
(processors) to make R much faster when we have multicores. Can anyone help
me in understanding how to use mclapply() function in the above situation.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Madana