[R] PCA - princomp can only be used with more units than variables

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 12:42:06 CEST 2011

At 03:56 20/07/2011, Joshua Wiley wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM, a.mewes at yahoo.co.uk
><a.mewes at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Ok thank you Josh.
> >
> > Basically I have a matrix A with 7 rows and 18 columns.
>
>If i < j (where i is the number of rows in your matrix and j is the
>number of columns), then the determinant of the covariance (or
>correlation) matrix |Sigma_A| will be 0 (or very near zero, you can
>easily convince yourself of this by running det(cov(matrix(rnorm(90),
>9))) as many times as you need).  From Cramer's Rule, if the
>determinant of the matrix is 0, there is not a unique solution
>(clarifications/corrections are welcome if any of this is wrong).
>

> > What I am told is I need the 'varimax rotated scores from the PCA analysis
> > of matrix A'

You should be able to get scores on the first 7
components from prcomp surely? Is that not what
it returns in x or am I misreading the
documentation? Whether it is sensible to do this
with such a small dataset and in particular
whether rotating principal components is illogical I would not comment on.

Michael Dewey
info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
http://www.aghmed.fsnet.co.uk/home.html