[R] Different result of multiple regression in R and SPSS

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 01:37:58 CEST 2011

> From: dwinsemius at comcast.net
> To: seoulseoulseoul at gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:45:47 -0400
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] Different result of multiple regression in R and SPSS
>

> On Jul 19, 2011, at 6:29 PM, J. wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the answer.
> >
> > However, I am still curious about which result I should use? The
> > result from
> > R or the one from SPSS?
>
> It is becoming apparent that you do not know how to use the results
> from either system. The progress of science would be safer if you get
> some advice from a person that knows what they are doing.
>
> > Why the results from two programs are different?
>
> Different parametrizations. If I had to guess I would bet that the
> gender coefficient is R is exactly twice that of the one from SPSS.
> They are probably both correct in the context of their respective
> codings.

I guess I would also suggest, again, run some samples with known data sets
and see what you get(RSSWKDSASWYG). You would want to do this anyway if you want to insure
your real data is being used reasonably. You still need to have some way to check your
opinion from the expert mentioned above and known data will help there too.  A factor
of 2 often shows up from just looking at pictures once you have some intuition. I've
often been wrong on intuition, but chasing it down and proving it helps you learn a lot :)