[R] ?Accuracy of prop.test

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Jul 18 22:51:23 CEST 2011

Others have explained why R gives a different answer based on a different approximation, but if you want to get the same answer as the book/minitab/... for your own understanding (or so the grader doesn't get confused by superior answers, or other reasons) here is one way to do it:

> x <- c( rep(1,202), rep(0, 1010-202) )
> p <- 202/1010
> sd <- sqrt( p*(1-p) )
>
> library(TeachingDemos)
> z.test( x, 0.5, sd )

        One Sample z-test

data:  x
z = -23.8354, n = 1010.000, Std. Dev. = 0.400, Std. Dev. of the sample
mean = 0.013, p-value < 2.2e-16
alternative hypothesis: true mean is not equal to 0.5
95 percent confidence interval:
 0.1753312 0.2246688
sample estimates:
mean of x
      0.2

Which matches the others you reported below.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org