[R] special question on regression

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Jul 18 22:33:33 CEST 2011

I remember seeing an example using the EM algorithm where one of the variables was age of child and they assumed that an age like 16 months was accurate to the month, but ages like 18 months may have been off by as much as 2 months and ages like 3 years could be off by 6 months (or more), so they used the EM algorithm to estimate the actual ages (I think, but am not sure, that age was used as a predictor in the regression).  I think the example may be in Little and Rubin's book on missing data, but I could not find it in a quick skim through my copy.  But that is one approach.

If you have an exact transformation of your interval data and you are willing to assume multivariate normality (after the transform) then you could use maximum likelihood with the optim (or other) function, just create the likelihood function to take into account the intervals.  This would work with something like a log transform, but I don't know how it would work with something like a spline.

Another approach would be a Bayesian regression (use BRugs or similar) where you put a prior distribution on each of the intervals, e.g. if the data you have is 2-4 then maybe use a uniform prior between 2 and 4, etc.  This has a similar feel to me to the EM approach, but based on very different theory.  One advantage of this is that you also have a posterior distribution on the actual value of each of your values that you only know the interval for.  Again this works great with known transforms like log, but I don't know how you would do a spline, you could use a polynomial transformation to start to at least get a feel for the level and general shape of the nonlinearity.

You might also try multiple imputation on the interval data, there are several packages that do the multiple imputation, but I don't know if any of them would take the intervals into account.  You could possibly create your own imputations generating randomly within the intervals, then use the existing tools to help with the analysis.

There are a few avenues to investigate, I think I would go with the Bayesian (just don't tell my Bayesian friends that :-), but your preferences could differ.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org