[R] create multiple variables loop

jour4life jour4life at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 06:58:38 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how to construct several new variables without
having to write a code for each one. Specifically, I want to calculate
ratios for several variables. For instance, let's say I have:

df

male1990 male1995 male2000 male2005 female1990 female1995 female2000
female2005
10              11             15             17             15
14               17              20
23              22             25             28             25
22               27              30
32              33             37             36             31
37               37              35

I want to calculate sex ratios for each of the years. Please note that this
is an example. I want to calculate age-specific ratios for 5-year age
groups, meaning that this will create a lot of variables. I am not well
versed with looping functions and would appreciate it if someone provided
some information and guidance as how to approach this.

Thanks very much!

Carlos