[R] plot a vertical column of colored rectangles

Ortiz, John OrtizJ at si.edu
Sat Jul 16 20:23:19 CEST 2011

Hi Nacho,

You should look grid.rect or grid.polygon function from "grid" library.

I attach you an example, you can play with this:

dat <- c(0,0,0,0,1,1,1,0,0,1)

colour=ifelse(dat == 0, "red", "blue")

library(grid)
library(foreach)
grid.newpage()
vp1 <- grid.layout(nrow = 1, ncol = 1,
                  widths = unit(0.80, "native"),
                  heights = unit(0.80, "native"))

pushViewport(viewport(width= unit(0.9, "npc"), height= unit(0.9,"npc"),
                      xscale = c(0, 5), yscale = c(0, 15)))

foreach(i=1:10) %do%
grid.rect(x=0, y=1+i, width=4, height=1,  draw=TRUE, default.units = 'native', gp=gpar(fill=colour[i]))

Regards,

John Ortiz
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
Geologist