[R] Bar chart in ascending order for each level of X

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Sat Jul 16 17:02:01 CEST 2011

The question is how to plot a bar chart in which bars are sorted  in
ascending order for each level of X.  I would appreciate receiving your
advice and help.
This toy example might help:
barlab <- sample(LETTERS,10)
values <- sample(1:100, 10)
op <- par(mfrow= c(4,1))
barplot(values, names.arg = barlab)
barplot(values[order(values)], names.arg = barlab[order(values)])
barplot(values[order(barlab)], names.arg = barlab[order(barlab)])
ordlabel <- c(1,3,5,7,9,2,4,6,8,10)
barplot(values[ordlabel], names.arg = barlab[ordlabel])
par(op)

Rob

Thanks,

Pradip Muhuri

******

The following codes work when producing the chart in which bars are NOT
sorted.  Please see the output.

***** Data File
5.1 8.7 1.6
3.7 7.4 2.8
10.4 12.0 3.5
4.4 8.8 1.7
2.0 3.5 0.7
6.7 11.0 3.1
5.3 6.7 1.8

###############
#source("C:/Documents and Settings/pradip.muhuri/My
Documents/disorders_chart1.R") - Please ignore this line

#R Scripts for bar chart begin here

# Read drug data from tab-delimited data set
drug_data <- read.table("C:/Documents and Settings/pradip.muhuri/My
Documents/xdrug.dat", header=FALSE,
                        col.names=c("Age_1217", "Age_1825", "Age_26Plus"),
row.names = c("White","Black","Native American/Alaska
Native","Hawaiian/OPI","Asian", "More than One Race", "Hispanic"),
sep="\t")

# Graph drug use disorder data with adjacent bars using rainbow colors
barplot(as.matrix(drug_data), main="Past-Year Illicit Drug Use Disorders by
Race/Ethnicity", ylab= "Past-Year Use Disorder Rate (%)", beside=TRUE,
col=rainbow(7))
legend("topright", c("White","Black","Native American/Alaska
Native","Hawaiian/OPI","Asian", "More than One Race", "Hispanic"), cex=0.6,
bty="n", fill=rainbow(7));