[R] scaling advice

Data Analytics Corp. walt at dataanalyticscorp.com
Fri Jul 15 23:05:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have a consultants nightmare -- I was given a project that another
consultant did and I was told to do the same calculations, but there's
no documentation on what he did.  Basically, I have yes/no answers to
survey questions about the effectiveness of product attributes by
brands.  There are 44 attributes and 13 brands.  The other guy scaled
the proportion of respondents who said Yes to be mean 0 and variance
1.0, apparently doing this by brand within each attribute.  He then
created a matrix of 44 rows for the attributes and 13 columns for the
brands.  No problem with this; I can always replicate this much.  But
then he apparently rescaled this 44x13 matrix so that the rows all sum
to zero and the columns all sum to zero.  None of the row and column
standard deviations are 1.0.  This I can't see how to do.  How can I
rescale the rows and columns so that they all sum to zero?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Walt

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.
Data Analytics Corp.