[R] running previous versions of R

jstevens jstevens at med.wayne.edu
Fri Jul 15 21:58:31 CEST 2011

I'm running Ubuntu - natty. Forgive me if I sound lost, its been just over a
week since I switched over from Windows. I originally installed 2.12 using
the Ubuntu software center, but have now switched to using the terminal.
2.9.2 was installed using a .tar.zip file downloaded from cran. Before I
switched over to Linux I had both versions installed in Windows, but I had
to switch to Linux because Windows is so limiting on RAM use.

Upon further poking around I've figured out how to do it. I found the R
executable file in /usr/lib/R-2.9.2/bin, so entering $/usr/lib/R-2.9.2/bin/R
starts up version 2.9.2. Thanks for your help.

I'm running a CRAN package that has not been updated since 2009, and I'm not
rerunning an old analysis. The problem is that the software I'm using for
the analysis gives me an error saying that it requires R version 2.4 or
higher if I try to run it in version 2.10 or higher. I think someone was a
little sloppy with some code so that the program only looks at two integers
when verifying the version of R. I've let the author know about it, but the
program is no longer in development.