[R] Export Unicode characters from R

Sverre Stausland johnsen at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 15 19:42:39 CEST 2011

>> [1] "ḡ"

>> [1] ḡ
>> Levels:<U+1E21>
>
> I think the problem is in the data.frame code, not in writing. Data.frames
> try to display things in a readable way, and since you're on Windows where
> UTF-8 is not really supported, the code helpfully changes that character to
> the "<U+1E21>" string. for display.

I thought the data.frame function didn't alter the unicode coding,
since funny.g$funny.g above still displays the right unicode character
(although it does list the levels as <U+1E21>).

> You should be able to write the Unicode character to file if you use lower
> level methods such as cat(), on a connection opened using the file()
> function with the encoding set explicitly.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what it means "to use cat() on a
connection opened using the file() function". Could you please clarify
that?

Thanks
Sverre