[R] Very slow optim()

John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Fri Jul 15 15:17:59 CEST 2011

As I'm at least partly responsible for CG in optim, and packager of Rcgmin, I'll recommend
the latter based on experience since it was introduced. I've so far seen no example where
CG does better than Rcgmin, though I'm sure there are cases to be found.

However, Ben is right that if ADMB does so well (it uses effectively analytic
derivatives), then use it. Rcgmin really wants you to provide gradient code, and that is
work.

JN