[R] Plot command overwrites existing plot in multiple figure plot

marcel marcelcurlin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 19:06:26 CEST 2011

This problem has been an opportunity for me to learn about issues mixing base
graphics with lattice plots. From the many pdfs and blogs and other things I
have found, it seems that I have two options: 1) insert a viewport of my bar
graph into a basic environment; or 2) do all of my plots in lattice.

I have tried each and have encountered difficulties. I think the simplest
approach should be to add a lattice bar graph to the rest of my plot,
because all of the plots are already made. Unfortunately, despite the many
references to these issues, I was not able to find an example of this being
done. I think it should involve

I have most of the parts working, but am not sure how to put the last pieces
together:

nf <-
layout(matrix(c(1,1,1,1,0,0,2,2,2,2,0,0,3,3,3,3,0,0,4,4,4,4,0,0,5,5,5,5,0,0),5,6,
byrow=TRUE), respect=FALSE)

# first my regular plots
attach(mydatafile1)
par(mar=c(0.2,4.5,0.2,0.5))
plot(xvalue, yvalue, frame=T)
detach(mydatafile1)

attach(mydatafile2)
par(mar=c(0.2,4.5,0.2,0.5))
plot(xvalue, yvalue, frame=T)
detach(mydatafile2)

# now the bar plot in lattice, which I know will plot fine in its own window
require(lattice)
tmpdf <- data.frame(Time=rep(tmp$Time, 3), stack(tmp[,2:4]))
barchart(values ~ Time, group=ind, data=tmpdf, stack=TRUE, horizontal=FALSE)
plot5 <- xyplot(values ~ Time, group=ind, data=tmpdf, stack=TRUE,
horizontal=FALSE, panel=panel.barchart)

# here is the issue, how to get this into basic. I think I need a
pushViewport command of some kind
lviewport(x=unit(1, "npc") - unit(1, "inches"), y=0.5, width=0.2,
height=0.5, just=c("right", "centre")))
print(plot3, position=c(0.01, 0, 1, 0.5))

Any thoughts about how to put the last pieces together would be very much
appreciated.

Marcel