[R] Error when writing to Excel files using the packages xlsx and xlsx2

syrvn mentor_ at gmx.net
Wed Jul 13 11:46:01 CEST 2011

Dear group,

I am working on a rather big project where the output data frames have
dimensions of 3000 x 15 or greater. We are using xlsx and xlsx2 to write the
data.frames to Excel sheets.

Since recently we get the following error, when trying to write the data
frames to the excel sheets:

Error in ls(envir = envir, all.names = private) :
  invalid 'envir' argument

We figured out that the error occurs when the excel sheet is open while R
tries to write to it.
But now, closing all open excel sheets does not fix the error any longer. We
also tried deleting the excel sheet in case it might be corrupt but we still
get the same error.

We have a very narrow timeframe so any help on how to fix that error is very
much appreciated.

Best regards,
Flo