[R] Meta-analysis with zero values for mean and sd

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Jul 11 15:01:52 CEST 2011

I know nothing about the biological background here, but I also wonder if the standard meta-analytic approach is meaningful here. I also see some confusion in terminology (these are not "count data"!).

There appear to be only 3 observations per group in each of the studies -- the standard deviations in each of the studies are consequently very inaccurate estimates. A potential solution may be pooling SDs across studies.

While I do not know what was measured in each of the "studies", I suspect that it may have been "the same thing". Therefore, I would suggest that the outcome should be the raw/unstandardized mean difference (i.e., ControlMean - TreatedMean) and not the standardized one (i.e., (ControlMean - TreatedMean) / SD).

And Jim's comment is also spot-on -- does it make sense to compare those zeros with non-zeros?

Best,

Wolfgang