[R] coxme for random effects only model

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Mon Jul 11 14:36:39 CEST 2011

---begin inclusion --
I have encountered the following problem where coxme seems to allow
model with only random effect in R 2.11.1 but not in R 2.13.0. Following
is the error message using rat example data. Any comment on this is
appreciated.
--- end inclusion

What version of coxme is being used?  (Use the sessionInfo() command per
the posting guide).
  The coxme call you wrote works for me, but then I'm not running the
same version of coxme as anyone else ;-)
  The code for initial values of the iteration has recently been
updated, driven by an example data set that was very fussy.  I had to
implement a multiple-value grid search for starting estimates.

Terry Therneau
author of coxme