[R] help with Code

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 23:56:51 CEST 2011

Hi,

1) Still not reproducible because we do not have "E.csv"
2) The help list is not for homework questions.  Many (most?)
professors and/or their TAs offer office hours where they are willing
to provide help and guidance (unless, of course, the assignment is
meant to encourage you to learn on your own rather than relying on
canned solutions)
3) try something like this to track down where the error is:

## This will enable debugging so you can watch the code as each line is executed
debug(chart.Regression)
## Now when you run this, a browser will come up for you to examine
the code as it is run
 chart.Regression(MCD,SPX, Rf = .03/12, excess.returns = TRUE, main =
"Security Characteristic Line", fit = c("loess", "linear"), legend.loc =
"topleft")

Also, right after the error occurs, you can run: traceback() to print
the call stack leading to the error.  This can be useful information
and may be enough for you to pin the problem down, but if the real
problem occurred a while back, but no errors occurred until later,
traceback() may not be sufficient and you'll need to debug.

I would read all the documentation pages for ?debug ?browser
?traceback if you have never used them before prior to starting this
endeavour.  Those tools will definitely get you to the exact point the
error occurs.

Good luck and do treat education as an opportunity to develop useful
skills, not just a way to get some letter grades on a piece of paper.

Cheers,

Josh

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology