[R] OpenOffice ods spreadsheets in R?

Martin Rittner kmr at thegeologician.net
Sun Jul 10 12:59:47 CEST 2011

David, you are right, I seem not to be able to reproduce the problem
with a synthetic file see attached). However, if I run

tst<-read.ods(file="test.ods",stringsAsFactors=FALSE)

I do not get a data.frame() in tst[[1]], just a vector of the row names:

1> tst[[1]]
[1] NA     "row1" "row2" "row3" "row4" "row5"

I tried to reproduce the "messy" structure of the original file, which
is not my fault but how I got the data... Sorry, I can't post the file
that actually causes my problems, as it contains all my most important
(unpublished) research data... And I don't want to spend hours on
finding the exact table lines in many thousands that reproduce the
problem, sorry.

Anyway, I'll go with the less satisfying solution of exporting all the
sheets as .csv (as proposed by Ista and Don, thanks) and see how that
goes, just thought there was another solution.

Richard, thanks for the tip, I didn't try it, but as far as I can see,
it's supposed to run R within OpenOffice? That's not quite what I had in
mind, I am using R on different machines and don't want to have to
install OpenOffice on each and open it up each time I want to work on
the data...

Thanks to everyone for the quick and detailed reply!
Martin