[R] grey colored lines and overwriting labels i qqplot2

Sigrid s.stenerud at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 05:24:08 CEST 2011

I created this graph in ggplot and added ablines to the different facets by
specifying with subset commands.  As you might see, there are still a few
issues.

1.)	I would like to have the diamonds in a grey scale instead of colors. I
accomplished this (see graph 2) until I overwrote the label title for the
treatments and the colors came back (graph 1). I used these two commands:
p=ggplot(data = test, aes(x = YEAR, y = TOTAL, colour = TREATMENT)) +
geom_point() + facet_wrap(~country)+scale_colour_grey()+
scale_y_continuous("number of votes")+ scale_x_continuous("Years")+
scale_x_continuous(breaks=1:4) + scale_colour_hue(breaks='A', labels='label
A')+ scale_colour_hue(breaks='B', labels='label B')

How can I keep the grey scale, but avoid changing back to colors when using
the scale_colour_hue command?

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3657119/color_graph.gif

2.)	Furthermore, only one of the overwritten labels of the treatments came
up, despite putting in two commands (graph 1).  What could have happened
here?

p + scale_colour_hue(breaks='A', labels='label A')+
scale_colour_hue(breaks='B', labels='label B')

3.) I would like to add the lines so it matches the default grey scale
(graph 2), but I do not know the name of the different shades in the grey
scale. I added the lines in the following way:
> p + geom_abline(intercept = 81.476, slope=47.267, colour = "green", size =
> 1, subset = .(country == 'low'))+ geom_abline(intercept = 31.809,
> slope=20.234, colour = "blue", size = 1, subset = .(country == 'low'))
> +.....

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3657119/color_graph_2.gif

And now I would like to add lines fitting accordingly with the grey scale.
Where can I find out the names of the grey tones?

4.)	I would like to add different shapes. However, when I type

>p+ geom_point(aes(shape = factor(TREATMENT))) + scale_shape(solid = FALSE)

I get this error message:
 Error: scale_shape_discrete can deal with a maximum of 6 discrete values,
but you have 7.  See ?scale_manual for a possible alternative.

I did not find anything useful looking at the scale_manual pages. Any tips
on how to add another symbol?

5. ) Finally, how can I remove the grey background in the graph?

Thank you for all input!