[R] Storing and managing custom R functions for re-use

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 02:03:16 CEST 2011

On 11-07-09 7:30 AM, Simon Chamaillé-Jammes wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> sorry if this is a bit on the sidetrack for R-help.
>
> As a regular R user I have developed quite a lot of custom R functions,
> to the point of not always remembering what I have already programmed,
> where the file is and so on.

You really need to put these in a package.  Besides being an organized
place to hold code, packages have all sorts of documentation support.
You'll be able to browse your help pages to see what you've already got,
what the arguments mean, etc.

Of course, writing good documentation is harder than writing minimal
documentation, but R (almost) does the latter for you, so it's hardly
more difficult than writing none at all, but it's a lot more useful.

Duncan Murdoch