[R] Excel export date format

Duncan Mackay mackay at northnet.com.au
Sat Jul 9 10:08:56 CEST 2011

At 09:31 09/07/2011, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>I have been tormented for some time by Excel's habit of exporting
>dates to CSV files as mm/dd/yyyy format even if the dates are
>formatted dd/mm/yyyy in the display. What's worse, if there are
>dates that are of ambiguous (6/6/2011) and unambiguous (16/6/2011)
>format in the same column, Excel reformats the unambiguous dates and
>leaves the ambiguous ones as they were! Yesterday I discovered that
>if the dates are in international format (2011-6-6) Excel seems to
>export them as dd/mm/yyyy, and all correctly. As I suspect that
>there are a lot of R users who suffer from this, I thought I would
>pass on the info.
>
>Jim

Hi Jim

I have had problems with Excel dates when formatted as dd/mm/yyyy
Excel changes some to mm/dd/yyyy  for months Oct/Nov and Jan/Feb and days 1-9
so dd/mm/yyyy becomes mm/dd/yy 01/10/2005  becomes 10/01/2005.
It happens with earlier versions of Excel  - I do not know what
happens with the later versions as I have not experienced them as much.
Sometimes if data has been imported from various sources with
different date formatting the resultant date format may differ.

I do not know if it will shed some light on the problem.

Regards

Duncan

Duncan Mackay
Department of Agronomy and Soil Science