[R] Naive Bayes Classifier

Petr Savicky savicky at praha1.ff.cuni.cz
Fri Jul 8 17:31:44 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 02:18:17PM -0700, m.marcinmichal wrote:
> Hi,
> Currently I testing the packets that contain built-in features for
> classification. Actually I looked packages such as: e1071, Klar, Caret,
> CORElearn. However, from what I noticed when building a naive Bayesian
> classifier, that they package use of the finite mixture model to estimate P
> (x | C) and using a normal distribution. In my research I use binary data
> and I want modeled P (x | C), eg the Poisson distribution.

Hi.

For binary attributes, the distribution P(x | C) is binomial. This
is the way, how binary attributes are treated in function
CoreModel(y ~ ., lrn, model="bayes") in package CORElearn. I assume
that the binomial distribution is used also in other implementations
of naive Bayes for binary data.

Petr Savicky.