[R] Making a new package: licence

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 13:06:28 CEST 2011

On 11-07-08 6:20 AM, Federico Calboli wrote:
> HI All,
>
> I have written and succesfully uploaded a new package. The licence it is under is 'GPL' --no version. My assumption is, since all the code is written in R the licence R used for R would affect the code (hence my "GPL" stands for "whatever version of the GPL R is under")
>
> I am happy with the licencing I used, but I'd like to ask if there is any transitive propery of IP licencing or if I am mistaken.

I believe you are mistaken:  your package is your code, so the license
someone else used is irrelevant.  I would interpret 'GPL' to mean
'whatever version of GPL the user finds to be convenient'.  So if GPL v1
(which I've never actually seen) or GPL v4 (which has not been released)
contained some right that I liked, I would assume that you've granted me
that right.

Duncan Murdoch