[R] Polynomial fitting

mfa matti.jokipii at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 00:46:29 CEST 2011

Hello,

i'm fairly familiar with R and use it every now and then for math related
tasks.

I have a simple non polynomial function that i would like to approximate
with a polynomial. I already looked into poly, but was unable to understand
what to do with it. So my problem is this. I can generate virtually any
number of datapoints and would like to find the coeffs a1, a2, ... up to a
given degree for a polynomial a1x^1 + a2x^2 + ... that approximates my
simple function. How can i do this with R?

Your help will be highly appreciated!