[R] Multiple line graphs

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 22:46:08 CEST 2011

Hi lt2,

I would use the ggplot2 or lattice package.  It strikes me as more
effort to do in traditional graphics.  Anyway, here are some examples.
 Lattice is a very nice package, but I am not quite as familiar with
it, so my examples for it are not representative of its full power.

Cheers,

Josh

####################
# Your data
dat <- read.table(textConnection("
Pt      Coordinate      Log2Ratio
1       34046382        -0.023639869
1       34141437        0.016456776
1       34232498        -0.027852121
1       34261900        -0.167065347
2       34364856        -0.182864057
2       34461485        -0.228341688
2       34952694        1.90875531
3       34174705        1.312169128
3       34247833        1.381729262
3       34320273        1.218914649
3       34390545        0.992551194"), header = TRUE)
closeAllConnections()

require(ggplot2)
require(lattice)

#### Solution using the ggplot2 package ####
## Using colours by patient
ggplot(dat, aes(x = Coordinate, y = Log2Ratio, colour = factor(Pt))) +
 geom_line()

## Mapping Pt to type of line
ggplot(dat, aes(x = Coordinate, y = Log2Ratio)) +
 geom_line(aes(linetype = factor(Pt)))

## Nothing, but creating separate plots
ggplot(dat, aes(x = Coordinate, y = Log2Ratio)) +
 geom_line() +
 facet_grid(Pt ~ .)

#### Solution using the lattice package ####
## Colouring lines
xyplot(Log2Ratio ~ Coordinate, data = dat, group = Pt,
  type = "l", auto.key = list(points = FALSE, lines = TRUE))

## Condition on lines
xyplot(Log2Ratio ~ Coordinate | factor(Pt), data = dat, type = "l")

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM, lt2 <lt2 at bcm.edu> wrote:
> HI everyone, I'm just starting to get into graphing with R and I need to
> generate one graph that illustrates the pattern of gene expression for
> various patients. My data is in .csv format and is as follows and i'm
> showing below a portion of the data.
>
> Pt      Coordinate      Log2Ratio
> 1       34046382        -0.023639869
> 1       34141437        0.016456776
> 1       34232498        -0.027852121
> 1       34261900        -0.167065347
> 2       34364856        -0.182864057
> 2       34461485        -0.228341688
> 2       34952694        1.90875531
> 3       34174705        1.312169128
> 3       34247833        1.381729262
> 3       34320273        1.218914649
> 3       34390545        0.992551194
>
> I can generate the multiple line graphs but i can't get the different colors
> per patient, nor do i know how to change the pattern of the line.
>
> Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated.
>

> --

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles