[R] gdata read.xls() values format problem

Victor11 Yao.Zhao at invesco.com
Thu Jul 7 22:23:24 CEST 2011

Dear All,

When I use read.xls() in gdata package to read xls files, I noticed an issue
and couldn't find any solutions after I serched all previous posts.

In the excel file, the number value, for example, is actually 2.3456789 but
formatted as 2.3 (Format Cells ---> Decimal places:1). After I use
read.xls() to import the excel file, I found that, in R, this number is read
as the formatted value 2.3, instead of the actural value 2.3456789.

Since I usually read many excel files at the same time, it would be
inconvenient if I change the format in each excel file. So I'm wondering if
there is any argument in read.xls() or any other ways so it can read the
actual value?

I would realy appcireate for your help.

Thanks.
Victor