[R] Discussion on time series analysis and the use and misuse of Differencing

tomreilly tomreilly at autobox.com
Thu Jul 7 20:27:16 CEST 2011

How does the R module ARIMA account for unspecified deterministic structure
such as seasonal pulses, level shifts, local time trends and regular pulses
without needing to ask the user to intervene to specify this?

I have attached a Makradakis paper which hammers Box-Jenkins approach to
this problem of nonstationarity. I have also included a recent discussion
from stackexchange which you might find even more interesting.

http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/12651/box-jenkins-model-selection/12662#12662

http://www.insead.edu/facultyresearch/research/doc.cfm?did=46900

-----
Tom Reilly