[R] AR vs ARIMA question

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 19:52:57 CEST 2011

Yes, ar and arima are using different estimation methods: arima is mle
whereas the default is method-of-moments.

With such a large ar coefficient the end effects will matter, and the
mle (done by arima or ar.mle or ar(method="mle")) is the more accurate
method since it makes maximal use of the ends of the series.

Using coda (and set.seed(1)):

> effectiveSize(as.mcmc(xb))
   var1
8.3611

so you have effectively about 8 independent samples and your estimates
(by whatever method) have high variability.   Take a much longer
series.