[R] Automated stepwise multiple linear regression

klimator dietrich at geowiss.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jul 7 17:28:23 CEST 2011

Dear forum members,

hope you can understand my unprofessionell English. I have never been
working with RStudio before (even not with R), so I immediately need some
help, because I want to carry out an automated multiple stepwise linear
regression between temperatures and different surface parameters.
Data can be found in several .xls- or .csv-files within one folder. Files
are named "TMP_20090819_MLR_sfcparA" (data for August 19th 2009), daywise
going on until for example "TMP_20091231_MLR_sfcparA" (data for December
31th 2009).
Every single file contains a column "logger", "temperature",
"surface_parameter1", "surface_parameter2", "surfaceparameter3", and so on
(all in all max. 10 surface parameters). Furthermore every data file allways
contains 21 datasets (=rows)).

What I want R to do is to automtically open several files one after another,
to carry out multiple stepwise linear regression on 95%-statistical
significance niveau between "temperature" and the independent variables of
all "surface_parameter(x)", to generate a new column to be filled with the
residua between "temperature" and model-estimation and finally to save the
output of the regression analysis to a correspondent file name ("#.txt")
into the same folder.

Is anybody able to help me with my problem?

With best regards,
Helge