[R] question about getting things out of an lapply

Annemarie Verkerk annemarie.verkerk at mpi.nl
Thu Jul 7 13:25:16 CEST 2011

Dear Josh,

thanks for pointing this out - the idea behind writing this function is
plotting gradients on branches of phylogenetic trees - 'tree' refers to
a phylogenetic tree. It's easy to create a random phylogenetic tree in R:

library(ape)
library(plotrix)

rtree(15) -> tree

This gives you a tree with 15 taxa. You can plot it with plot() if you
want to take a look.

then the data - you can create a fake data set:

rnorm(15, mean = 0.5, sd = 0.15) -> data

for the data which the function needs, you also need:

ace(data, tree) -> results

data <- append(data,results$ace)

names(data) <- NULL

I also tried with the following updated code I still got the same error
message:

create.gradient <- function(i){
colorgrad01<-color.scale(seq(0,1,by=0.01), extremes=c("red","blue"))
tree$edge[i,1] -> x
tree$edge[i,2] -> y
print(x)
print(y)
data[x] -> z
data[y] -> z2
round(z, digits = 2) -> z
round(z2, digits = 2) -> z2
z*100 -> z
z2*100 -> z2
print(z)
print(z2)
colorgrad<-colorgrad01[z:z2]
colorgrad
}

lapply(tree$edge, create.gradient)

- Error in FUN(X[[26L]], ...) : subscript out of bounds

I hope this help and you can replicate the problem too.

Thanks!
Annemarie