[R] Simulating from the null distribution of a 2 x 3 table

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 10:29:57 CEST 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 05:01 , Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Jim Silverton <jim.silverton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I want to simulate from the null distribution of the following 2 x 3 table,
>>
>> 2   5  10
>> 4   8   5
>>
>> I am using  a chi-squared test.
>> Anyone has any idea how to do this?
>
> The r2dtable() function will simulate tables with a given set of row
> and column totals.

Or, as a shortcut, maybe look into chisq.test(..., simulate.p.value=TRUE).

Notice that both use hypergeometric-type sampling. One could also consider sampling with rmultinom (either of order 6, twice of order three, or thrice of order 2), or even rpois, assuming a Poisson distribution of the total count.