[R] Unusual graph- modified wind rose perhaps?

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 21:25:55 CEST 2011

At 12:21 04/07/2011, John Kane wrote:

>In a OpenOffice.org forum someone was asking if the spreadsheet
>could graph this
>http://www.elmundo.es/elmundosalud/documentos/2011/06/leche.html
>
>I didn't think it could. :)
>
>I don't think I've ever seen exactly this layout. Does anyone know
>if there is anything in R that does a graph like this or that can be
>adapted to do it.
>
>Unfortunately my Spanish is non-existent so I am not sure how
>effective the graph is in achieving whatever it's suppposed to
>do.  A dot chart might be as effective but it is a flashy graphic.

Well nobody seems to have taken up the challenge John, so here goes.

In summary the graphics show the properties of brands of full-fat
milk sold in Spain. Some of them are supermarket own brands and
others general branded products. By clicking on the rectangular
buttons across the top you can select which criterion to look at and
when you do there is usually an explanatory text shown upper-left in
the plot. By default you get overall quality rating.

Good features of the graphic seem to me to be that the brands are
always in the same order so if you buy your milk from (say) the
Eroski supermarket chain you can track it easily through the
different criteria. Another good feature for me is the fact that the
underlying values do not clutter up the visual presentation but can
be retrieved by hovering over the sector

Several of the criteria are inherently continuous but have been
categorised which seems to me a shame.

Overall for a newspaper graphic it seemed of good quality to me but YMMV.

>Thanks

Michael Dewey
info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
http://www.aghmed.fsnet.co.uk/home.html