[R] gradient generation

Annemarie Verkerk annemarie.verkerk at mpi.nl
Wed Jul 6 08:19:56 CEST 2011

Dear R-help subscribers;

I have a question regarding making gradients in R. I've searched on the
web, but was only able to find functions that make a gradient between
color X and Y, which is not what I want.

I want to 'pick out' individual, smaller pieces of a gradient based on a
range of numbers. Say that I have a range of numbers, leading from 0 to
1. Then I want 0 to refer to the brightest red, and 1 to the brightest
blue, and all values in between refer to shades of purple. (So, 0.5
would be regular purple, 0.7 would be a quite bluish purple, etc.)

Then, I want to be able pick out a gradient from the larger 0-1
gradient, say for instance the gradient between 0.25 and 0.35 and refer
to this with an object name for further use.

I'm not sure whether this is possible - maybe it would only be possible
to define a range of individual R colors first that already form a
gradient, and then 'pick out' the colors that you want to make the
gradient.

In any case, I'm sure one could do this somehow in R!

Thanks for your help,
Annemarie

--
Annemarie Verkerk, MA
Evolutionary Processes in Language and Culture (PhD student)