[R] wavelets

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:34:10 CEST 2011

> From: jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
> Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 00:45:41 -0700
> To: tyagi149 at gmail.com; r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] wavelets
>
> Study the topic more carefully, I suppose. My understanding is that wavelets do not in themselves compress anything, but because they sort out the interesting data from the uninteresting data, it can be easy to toss the uninteresting data (lossy data compression). Perhaps you should understand better what your Matlab library is doing.
> Jeff Newmiller The ..... ..... Go Live...
> DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
> Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing
> Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries O.O#. #.O#. with
> /Software/Embedded Controllers) .OO#. .OO#. rocks...1k
>
> user123 <tyagi149 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm new to the topic of wavelets. When I tried to use the mra function in the
> wavelets package, the data is not getting compressed. eg. if the original
> data has 500 values , the output data also has the same.
> However in MATLAB, depending on the level of decompositon, the data gets
> compressed.
> How do I implement this in R?

can you post some code? You can always compress into one value of course by turning
bytes into a single char string, what you want is entropy. I posted some
example code before and I remember it took effort to not get the subsampling.
mra is probably multi-resolution analysis and I'd suppose you want all the samples.
You probably need paper and pencil however at this point.