[R] Poisson GLM with a logged dependent variable...just asking for trouble?

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Jul 4 09:39:50 CEST 2011

Dear Mark,

I think you want glm(DV ~ log10(IV), family=poisson)
Note that the poisson family uses the log-link by default. Hence you don't need to log-transform DV yourself.

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey