[R] For help in R coding

Bansal, Vikas vikas.bansal at kcl.ac.uk
Sat Jul 2 18:34:08 CEST 2011

>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am doing a project on variant calling using R.I am working on
>> pileup file.There are 10 columns in my data frame and I want to
>> count the number of A,C,G and T in each row for column 9.example of
>> column 9 is given below-
>>
>>           .a,g,,
>>           .t,t,,
>>           .,c,c,
>>           .,a,,,
>>           .,t,t,t
>>           .c,,g,^!.
>>           .g,ggg.^!,
>>           .$,,,,,.,
>>           a,g,,t,
>>           ,,,,,.,^!.
>>           ,$,,,,.,.
>>
>> This is a bit confusing for me as these characters are in one column
>> and how can we scan them for each row to print number of A,C,G and T
>> for each row.
>
> Seems a bit clunky but this does the job (first the data):
>> txt <- " .a,g,,
> +            .t,t,,
> +            .,c,c,
> +            .,a,,,
> +            .,t,t,t
> +            .c,,g,^!.
> +            .g,ggg.^!,
> +            .$,,,,,.,
> +            a,g,,t,
> +            ,,,,,.,^!.
> +            ,$,,,,.,."
>
>> txtvec <- readLines(textConnection(txt))
>
> Now the clunky solution, Basically subtracts 1 from the counts of
> "fragments" that result from splitting on each letter in turn. Could
> be made prettier with a function that did the job.
>
>> data.frame(A = unlist(lapply( lapply( sapply(txtvec, strsplit,
> split="a"), length) , "-", 1)),
> + C = unlist(lapply( lapply( sapply(txtvec, strsplit, split="c"),
> length) , "-", 1)),
> + G = unlist(lapply( lapply( sapply(txtvec, strsplit, split="g"),
> length) , "-", 1)),
> + T = unlist(lapply( lapply( sapply(txtvec, strsplit, split="t"),
> length) , "-", 1)) )
>                       A C G T
>  .a,g,,               1 0 1 0
>            .t,t,,     0 0 0 2
>            .,c,c,     0 2 0 0
>            .,a,,,     1 0 0 0
>            .,t,t,t    0 0 0 2
>            .c,,g,^!.  0 1 1 0
>            .g,ggg.^!, 0 0 4 0
>            .$,,,,,.,  0 0 0 0
>            a,g,,t,    1 0 1 1
>            ,,,,,.,^!. 0 0 0 0
>            ,$,,,,.,.  0 0 0 0
>
> Has the advantage that the input data ends up as rownames, which was a
> surprise.
>
> If you wanted to count "A" and "a" as equivalent, then the split
> argument should be "a|A"
>

>>AS YOU MENTIONED THAT IF I WANT TO COUNT A AND a I SHOULD SPLIT LIKE THIS.
BUT CAN I COUNT . AND , ALSO USING-
data.frame(A = unlist(lapply( lapply( sapply(txtvec, strsplit,
split=".|,"), length) , "-", 1)),

I TRIED IT BUT ITS NOT WORKING.IT IS GIVING THE OUTPUT BUT AT SOME PLACES IT IS SHOWING MORE NUMBER OF . AND , AND SOMEWHERE IT IS NOT EVEN CALCULATING AND JUST SHOWING 0.

>> Thanking you,
>> Warm Regards
>> Vikas Bansal
>> Msc Bioinformatics