[R] Multilevel Survival Analysis - Cox PH Model

dunner ross.dunne at tcd.ie
Sat Jul 2 12:52:44 CEST 2011

There is indeed right censoring, but I obviously didn't explain it very well.

Patients are either fully oriented or not (1 or 2) after an hour. If they're
not, then the data is right censored.

However, I don't feel that "coxme" is overkill at all, as I may also have to
account for repeated COURSES of treatments on the same individiual, so the
data would be  structured as follows: TREATMENTS repeated within COURSES
repeated within PATIENTS.

However, I may need a little help later specifying the model technically in
R.

What would the random effects bit of the formula look like? At   the moment
I have

mycoxme<-coxme(mysurv~SEX + (1|MRN))

for example.

would a correct specification for the nested data be:

mycoxme<-coxme(mysurv~SEX + (1|MRN|COURSE))

Then of course we have the added issue that treatments are ordered.... so is
there a "Frailty" model that can account for that I wonder?

Thanks for all your help.

Ross