[R] Where does R look for library packages - there is no package called 'BRugs'

conor1725 metasaurus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 23:42:22 CET 2011

I am have installed R on Windows 7 machine. R got installed in the directory
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0. Then I installed the package BRugs using the
install.packages command. I did not get an option during the installation as
to what directory I wanted BRugs installed in. It ended up in
C:\myusername\Documents as C:\myusername\Documents\R\win-library\2.12\BRugs.
When I open and R and run the command library(BRugs) it works fine.

However, I would like to move the BRugs stuff out of my Documents folder,
either to a subdirectory under Documents of my choosing or to somewhere in
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0. I tried just moving the whole folder and
subfolders R\win-library\2.12\... from Documents to a subfolder. I don't
think this matters, but just to complete, there is also a folder called Coda
with the BRugs folder in the 2.12 folder and of course there are subfolders
and files under each of the folders Coda and BRugs. Then when I try
library(BRugs) I get the error message "Error in library(BRugs) : there is
no package called 'BRugs'". So it seems R only knows to look for the BRugs
package in it's original installation location.

How can I get it to work having BRugs in one of my desired locations?

Thanks very much.