[R] Extract subsets of different and unknown lengths from huge dataset

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 30 21:17:46 CET 2011

A reproducible example would be nice, but if I understand you,
you want to find the index of values which are preceded by at
least 24 zeroes.  The rle (run length encoding) function is
very handy for problems like these.

Suppose the vector of interest is called "vec".  To create
a vector called "start" whose value is "NA" except for those
positions immediately after at least 24 zeroes, you could try
something like this:

start = rep("NA",length(vec))
rls = rle(vec==0)
ind = cumsum(rls$lengths)[rls$lengths >= 24 & rls$values == TRUE] + 1
if(rls$values[length(rls$values)] == TRUE)ind = ind[-length(ind)]
start[ind] = 'start'

To number the starts, you could use something like

num = rep(0,length(vec))
num[start == 'start'] = 1:sum(start == 'start')

 					- Phil Spector
 					 Statistical Computing Facility
 					 Department of Statistics
 					 UC Berkeley