[R] Months in alphabetical order rather than chronological order in graph

Don McKenzie dmck at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 28 23:07:48 CET 2011

Kurt

You need to give us more information if you want good advice.  For example, what sort of plot are you trying to make?
A barplot?   A time series?

A reproducible example is always best.  Please see the R-news posting guide for hints on a successful query.

On Jan 28, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Kurt_Helf at nps.gov wrote:

> Greetings
>     Though I have months in chronological order in my data table, the data
> were sampled every other month (i.e., February, April, June, August,
> October, December), every time I try to plot them (on the x-axis) they are
> plotted in alphabetical order.  What am I missing?
> Cheers
> Kurt

> Kurt Lewis Helf, Ph.D.
> Ecologist
> EEO Counselor
> National Park Service
> Cumberland Piedmont Network
> P.O. Box 8
> Mammoth Cave, KY 42259
> Ph: 270-758-2163
> Lab: 270-758-2151
> Fax: 270-758-2609
> Science, in constantly seeking real explanations, reveals the true majesty
> of our world in all its complexity.
> -Richard Dawkins
>
> The scientific tradition is distinguished from the pre-scientific tradition
> in having two layers.  Like the latter it passes on its theories but it
> also passes on a critical attitude towards them.  The theories are passed
> on not as dogmas but rather with the challenge to discuss them and improve
> upon them.
> -Karl Popper
>
> ...consider yourself a guest in the home of other creatures as significant
> as yourself.
> -Wayside at Wilderness Threshold in McKittrick Canyon, Guadalupe Mountains
> National Park, TX
>
> Cumberland Piedmont Network (CUPN) Homepage:
> http://tiny.cc/e7cdx
>
> CUPN Forest Pest Monitoring Website:
> http://bit.ly/9rhUZQ
>
> CUPN Cave Cricket Monitoring Website:
> http://tiny.cc/ntcql
>
> CUPN Cave Aquatic Biota Monitoring Website:
> http://tiny.cc/n2z1o

Don McKenzie
Research Ecologist
Pacific Wildland Fire Sciences Lab
US Forest Service

Affiliate Professor
School of Forest Resources and CSES Climate Impacts Group
University of Washington

phone: 206-732-7824
cell: 206-321-5966
dmck at uw.edu