[R] subloop - flexible coding - variable number of loops

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 07:14:24 CET 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 6:29 PM, Peter Jaksons wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I want to create a flexible code for the following example: In stead
> of
> using a different code for each n (as in my example below), I want to
> write a general code for every n (n from 1 to 10).

Have you done any thinking about the size of hte programming task?
Perhaps running this code?

 > 20^(1:10)
  [1] 2.000e+01 4.000e+02 8.000e+03 1.600e+05 3.200e+06 6.400e+07
1.280e+09 2.560e+10 5.120e+11 1.024e+13

So you might want to think twice about trying for n > 6 right off the
bat/

expand.grid could be used:

col3 <- expand.grid(as.data.frame(matrix(rep(1:20, 3), ncol=3)))
col3[apply(col3, 1,sum)==20, ]

 > nrow( col3[apply(col3, 1,sum)==20, ] )
[1] 171

--