[R] question about the axis label

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Jan 25 09:13:10 CET 2011

Unfortunately, this fine control is only hardly possible:

1. [x,y].ticklabs labels the ticks that are in the plot. If there are
less ticks than ticklabs, the ticklabs are recycled and hence overlap.

2. xlim should do the trick to restrict to a certain range of values. It
does not precisely and this is a known unfixed (and hard to fix by
design) bug.

3. What you can do is enhance the number of ticks by telling R how many
ticks to use approximately as in:

   scatterplot3d(dat, type = "h",
     lab = c(12, 10,0), lab.z = 8, scale.y = 0.7)

where dat is your data.frame.
This tells R to
  - use approx. 12 ticks on x-axis
  - use approx. 10 ticks on y-axis