[R] how many records can R handle

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 20:09:51 CET 2011

Exactly what do you want to do with the data?  It is 5M rows with 100
columns of data?  Do you want to read it all in at once?  If so, and
if they are numeric, you will need 4GB to hold one copy, and be
running on a 64-bit version of R.  If you want to do any processing
with everything in memory, I would suggest you have at least 16GB of
real memory since copies may be made while processing. Can you put
this on a data base and only read in the columns you need.  I can
handle 5M rows with 10 columns on my laptop with 2GB easily.  So it
all depends on the problem you are trying to solve.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Richard White <rhwhite at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> How many records can the R recursive partitioning software handle?
>

> We are analyzing 5,000,000 medical records looking at 100 risk factors for
> the outcome of interest
>

> Richard H. White, MD
>
> Hibbard E. Williams Endowed Professor of Medicine
>
> Chief, Division of General Medicine
>
> DIrector, Anticoagulation Service
>
> UC Davis Medical Center
>
> Suite 2400 PSSB