[R] Creating subsets of a matrix

poolmunch poolmunch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 19:36:14 CET 2011

Hello,

Say I have 2 columns, bmi and gender, the first being all the values and the
second being male or female. How would I subset this into males only and
females only? I have searched these fora and read endlessly about select[]
and split() functions but to no avail. Also the table is not ordered.

     bmi gender        ->      bmi gender         +    bmi  gender
1  24.78   male              1 24.78   male           3 23.18  female
2  26.42   male              2 26.42   male           4 22.36  female
3  23.18 female              ...                          ...
4  22.36 female

Thank you in advance