[R] Error in ANOVA for model comparison

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jan 21 16:37:17 CET 2011

Dear Rosario,

Because of missing data in the additional variable PHt, the two models
weren't fit to the same subset of valid observations -- the default in lm()
is to use complete cases for the variables in the model.

A mechanical solution is to use na.omit() to filter your data set, only for
the variables you intend to use, to produce a data set with no NAs. Then
you'll fit each model to a consistent subset of valid cases.

Of course, if you have a substantial amount of missing data, complete-case
analysis is probably a poor strategy.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox