[R] Circular variables within a GLM, GLM-GEE or GAM

Clare Embling clare.embling at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 10:36:28 CET 2011

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that!  Yes the circular variable is a predictor variable - great that it can be done using GAMs.
I actually would like to do a GAM-GEE model - do you know if I can do this within R yet?  I'm using GLM-GEEs because I can't do GAM-GEEs (I have data collected over the same survey route repeatedly over time, so want to take into account the fact that my data are not independent - I'm modelling my correlation structure using an ar-1 autoregressive correlation structure within a GEE). That way too, I can include my circular variables with circular smoothing functions as you suggested.

Best wishes & thanks,
Clare