[R] Accessing MySQL Database in R

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Jan 20 17:30:41 CET 2011

       The following worked for me recently:

library(RMySQL)
MySQL. <- MySQL()
MySQLcon <- dbConnect(MySQL., user='thisuser', password='thispassword',
                       dbname='desiredDB')

       I have the following suggestions and questions for you:

             1.  Have you tried supplying "dbname" rather than "host"?

             2.  Please provide "sessionInfo()".  Many packages have a
function named "dbConnect", and I don't know which one you are using.

             3.  I don't know if "MySQL()" is equivalent to
dbDriver("MySQL"), which you used.  It might be;  I don't know.

             4.  The standard "install.packages('RMySQL')" may not work,
because this package needs to be built to configure itself properly to
your local operating system and versions of MySQL and R installed.
Installation instructions are available at
"http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/Main/RMySQL".  If you have not
already followed those instructions, please do so.  There is a good
chance that will fix your problem, I think.

             5.  If this is not adequate, I suggest you post this
question to "r-sig-db at stat.math.ethz.ch".  [I suggest you subscribe
first.  This list has low volume and you can unsubscribe later if you
prefer.  And please also provide "sessionInfo()".]

             6.  Or use RODBC as suggested by Ptit Bleu.  It comes
highly recommended (including by Brian Ripley).  However, I had
difficulties getting positive results from both RMySQL and RODBC.  I
tried both, with each receiving similar quantities of expletives.
Finally, I got RMySQL to do what I wanted and suspended my schoolboy
exercises with RODBC.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer